What is Zikula 2?
Zikula 2 is a php application framework that is offered with a GNU/LGPLv3 license. This means that you can use it for free. The current version you can use for production sites is version 1.5.8 or 2.0.11.
Since Zikula 2 is finished and no major technical changes are planned at the moment, modules will be updated so that they can be used with Zikula 2.
The framework is programmed with PHP and you can create and run dynamic websites with it.
Parallel to Zikula is the ModuleStudio released with version 1.3.2.
The ModuleStudio offers the possibility to plan and generate modules. These can then be installed directly in Zikula.
In ModuleStudio you can create modules with a graphical editor and generate them at the push of a button.
In the meantime the ModuleStudio is mature and really usable. This is also due to the fact that Zikula 2 follows a clear concept.
Difference to pure Content Management Systems
The PHP Framework can be used as a content management system, but is also designed to quickly implement special requirements for your website.
This is possible through an organization of the core in so-called classes, which considerably simplifies necessary programming tasks. The simplification has an effect on the time and planning effort.
The framework is characterized by the following features and capabilities:
- Contents separate from design and technology
- Manage the content of a website (e.g. posts, downloads, FAQs, picture galleries, forums etc.) directly in the browser
- Reduce costs and effort when operating a website.
- Flexible, comprehensive and finely granulable authorization system
- High security through monitoring of input and output data (HTML Purifier, PHPIDS Intrusion Protection)
- High flexibility in content and visual design
- Customizable multilingualism and internationalization (i18n)
- Reuse of module-independent components using hooks
- Slim and Effective Programming with the Zikula API
- Simple templating with the Smarty Templating Engine or Twig Engine
- Individuality through global and theme-specific overwriting of templates, stylesheets, functions, etc.
Videos to the features
The following videos show some features of Zikula 1.3.12 that are also available in Zikula 1.5.x or Zikula 2.0.x.
Influence layout on home page.
Move a block to a different position
Lock content with access privileges
Use groups indefinitely
Let the user choose the layout
Modules for Version Series 2.0.x, Last Release 2.0.11
Installable are currently:
Modules for version series 1.5.x, last release 1.5.8
Installable and functional after your own tests:
- Blogging 1.0.1
- Eternizer 1.2.0
- Legal 3.1.2
- Pages 3.2.3
- Profiles 3.0.3
- Scribite 6.0.1
Version series 1.4.x
This version series was a transition series.
Modules for version 1.3.12
For which functions can modules (extensions) currently be used with version 1.3.12?
- Clip (Blog, Pages - flexible module for implementing different content types)
- Content (complex static pages)
- Eternizer (Guestbook)
- EZComments (Comments)
- FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
- Feeds (RSS Feeds)
- Formula (Forms)
- MUBoard (Forum)
- MUImage (gallery and image management)
- MUSeo (SEO)
- Multisites (Multiple web pages with one installation)
- MUVideo (video management)
- News (Blog)
- Pages (simple static pages)
- Piwik (Statistics)
- Profiles (profile management)
- Reviews (Reviews)
- Scribite (editor for text fields)
- Tag (tagging of terms)